9.30.2004

Woohoo!

It's amazing the difference a professional company can make. These countertop people have really impressed me. They showed up to template, the day we scheduled, and called twice to confirm. They templated, were in and out of there in an hour. They said "two weeks", the countertops were ready in 10 days. Then, we scheduled an install date, and they called again, to confirm twice. This morning, they showed up at 9 sharp, and installed my countertops. They made me look it over very thoroughly, and showed me how it was put together (this part is all one piece, this is two, etc) before they let me sign off on the job. Then, I had to fill out a "how did we do" sheet. I commented on how impressed I was with the professionality, of the whole operation. Pleasant, quality, timely service is completely refreshing. Especially, when I had to threaten my plumber with violence, to get him to show up last time. (he's officially fired, by the way, I'm currently looking for someone to hook up my hot water heater...know anyone?)

They look SO good, too. I seem to have a knack for choosing stuff that goes well. When I remodeled the bathroom in this house, I walked through the store, and basically chose stuff just by eye. I want this sink, with this paint, and this floor. And boom, it all went together, like it was a set (it wasn't...I managed to get half of it off the clearance racks) Same thing with this kitchen. When I first started putting it together, the phrase of the day was "RED!? Are you SURE?!" Yes, yes I'm quite sure. Now, the final design element is in place, and I must say, I am wholly impressed. The countertop color is called Noir Envision (for all you formica pros out there) which is like a black/charcoally grey granitey looking stuff. It's like...soft black. Black, deep red, black, white, stainless steel, black, and natural maple. Yes, it's all good. My biggest fear is that it would look like one of those retro 50's diners, which isn't what I was after. I like that look, but it ain't me. I would have coped, though, and went with it. Luckily, it's not. It looks modern, bold, and clean. Yes, yes, and yes.

Success. That's three rooms done (bathroom, Alden's room, and the kitchen). Three to go. (our room, the living room, and the laundry room) November is looking like our due date. I hope. I don't know if I can handle another Christmas in this house.

Wow, I have half the day to myself, now. Here I thought I'd be hanging around here, all day, waiting for them to show up, and then waiting for them to get done. I love it when things turn out unexpectedly well, it happens so rarely.
[Listening to: Stackerlee - Dave Van Ronk - (3:38)]

1 comment:

Time said...

I know exactly how you feel. I just finished having the house painted and they did a great job. After my experience dealing with the tree service from hell, I wasn't expecting much.

I wish I could do half the stuff I need done myself. But then again, it is nice finding people who know what they are doing and will actually do it.

Here's to home improvement!