9.19.2004

Rt. 18

Today was a good day to head down Rt. 18. We went to the Hong Kong Supermarket, and the the Marketplace (huge indoor flea market). I felt like blogging about it, because there are some interesting things about the flea market.

First stop: The Snake Pit. Last month, he had a rosie in stock, the really sad looking one, in the enclosure with a cotton ball, and no substrate. I was checking out his baby beardies, today, cooing over all the pwecious wittle fings. I love them so much, I really have to get another one. He remembered me from pestering him about spiders, and spoke to me about them, a little. I told him that I found a great rosie, and I'm totally smitten with her. He asked me if I was looking for any others (I think he realized that I was miffed, from last time's experience) So, I discussed the Usambara Baboon, (OBT) with him, and he said he'd look into ordering it, for me. YAY. I want one, but I'm apprehensive about ordering a live (aggressive as fuck, fast little spiderling) through the mail. Very cool. I really want an obt.

Next up: The poster guy. Alden is dead set on being a punk for Halloween (like he isn't every other day...) so, I figured I'd do him up right. We bought about 10 buttons, with various punk bands and images (Misfits, Black Flag, Anarchy, and I couldn't pass up a Bettie Page one) and some patches. Also, about 200 safety pins.... It was funny, because the mister got all his patches and buttons from this guy, in the 80's. I got mine from him in the 90's, and now here we are getting them for our kid. I'm gonna cut the sleeves off his old denim jacket, and safety pin the patches to it. Either that, or if I find a little flight jacket...

Then: We cruised by the animal shelter. We found a 6 yr. old male Bichon. Looks just like Pookie. The dog melted my heart, he was so lonely and pretty. I had to inquire about him. Not only were they less than helpful (I had to ask about 5 people, before one decided not to ignore me, and then she delegated the responsibility to one of the other people that ignored me, originally) they knew nothing about the dog, and weren't interested in answering my questions. She read this little spiel off the paper. "He's 6 years old, neutered, not housebroken, not good with other dogs, not good with small children, and he costs $199" It was all I could do not to gape. This is a SHELTER. That dog is middle aged. for $200? What the hell? I said "by small children, what do you mean?" She looked over Alden, and said "if this is your kid, he's too small" Heh. We walked out.

Now, you'd think, being a shelter, and all, they'd be happy to find a family who wants this dog. One would think they'd attempt to play up his strong suits, and perhaps let us have a look at him. We were there, and willing, and because of their attitude, mostly, and the price ($200 omfg for a pound dog) that dog didn't come home with us today. But, you would think that this is a unique thing. No. I've been dealing with a lot of rescue organizations, and would you believe, a family of three, with a huge fenced in yard, and the willingness to take a less than perfect dog, in the name of rescue, is treated like...like they're doing US a favor, by overcharging us for an unwanted animal.

I can see why people just buy them at pet stores (no, I'd never, ever) or from a breeder. They give you less shit, about taking a dog home.

Lunch: We cruised by Babok, the Middle Eastern food guy. He's gone. GONE. No more shwarma platters. No more falafel. No more home made, smoky, silky, babba ganoush. I almost wept. Then, through my tears, I spied Azteka. This Mexican stand. OMG, is this the same one from the now defunct US 1 flea market? Is this the Mexican food that I've not been able to forget for almost 10 years? (US 1 closed about 10 years ago) IT WAS! I had a burrito. It was made with steak, real steak, and this green epazote sauce. It was the size of my forearm, literally. It would have comfortably fed about 9 people. Yes, I ate it. And the frijoles, and the yellow rice. And some platanos. Azteka softened the blow, of Babok leaving. But now I gotta find somewhere good, to get my shwarma fix.

The Ukranian Guy: There's a butcher, in there, too. Ukranian. Big, beastly, fuzzy, fatherly type, with a thick accent. We've been going there for about 5 years, getting kielbasa, German salami, smoked gouda, pate, etc etc etc. Generally, we drop like 50 bucks in there, easy. This guy sells the best cured meats I've ever had in my life, and he's SO FUCKING COOL. He always talks with us for like, a half hour. Talking about parenting, food, The Old Country, employees, just anything. I could seriously hang out with this guy, and his family. They're my kind of people. He's free with the freebies, too. He's always giving us way more than we paid for, or throwing in jars of jam and blocks of cheese. Today, was the epitome. We ordered half a lb. of smoked gouda. He gave us a TWO POUND BLOCK, I asked for half a pound of Irish bacon, there must be a pound and a half in there. Two Hungarian sausage thingers, he gave us about 8. WTF are we gonna do with all this food, I wonder. I mean, all the extras were free. I was shocked, when I got home and unwrapped everything. I should invite some people over, and have a smoked food party. I love being a "regular" it makes me feel good, to be remembered, and appreciated, by good shopkeepers, or waiters, or whoever. We are pretty free with spending, in a good place, and I do love to be treated special. This was almost overboard, though.

Then, of course, from there, we hit up the Hong Kong market, and bought a basketful of veggies, and snackies. They have the best veggies there. Good snackies, too. Those nutty Japanese with their crazy candy. I searched high and low for caramel mints, though, and nary a one. No blueberry mints, either.

Now, I want to go hiking out on Sandy Hook. It's cool, breezy, sunny as hell, and the perfect beach day. Plus, I've been eating all day. I think I gained 3 lbs, between lunch, and grazing on the snackies, and nibbling on the salami. Yeah. I gotta go walk.
[Listening to: Long Way To The Top (live) - AcDc - (4:18)]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Check your "the lisa" mail, wanker.