10.14.2004

Vacation

I like it when the mister takes vacation. It gives me vacation. Vacation time for him (unless we're going on a trip, or something) is just being home, puttering around. Vacation time for me, is making him do all the household tasks, that I'm normally saddled with. It's refreshing to take a break, from struggling Alden through his morning ritual. It's nice to let him do some laundry, or some of the seemingly endless phonecalls, while I sorta drift around the house, with nothing to do. I get a lot of stuff done in my own way. Like, I cleaned out my cookbook shelf, and arranged my panties drawer. When do I get time to do that, typically? His vacation is my vacation. Trickle down effect. I like it.

This time is especially nice, because normally, he takes vacation time, in order to double up on lawns, and work extra hard. I know, that makes little sense, but it's his way. Not this time, though. I think he realizes how crucial it is to spend time with the family, and be a good dad. It's good. It's very pleasant. He and Alden are spending loads of time together, and he's getting to see the minute little day-to-day details that he misses out on. It's also good, because doing some of my daily tasks, he's developing a fond appreciation for the bullshit that I deal with, on a typical day.

"Oh man, I had no idea how difficult it was to get Alden to..."

"Hey, remember to call the gas company, and the mortgage place, and J. Tomas, and etc etc...oh wait, I could do that, you go get your nails done" *time passes*

"Whoa, you're still on the phone? Damn, it's been like, 2 hours."

"This sucks, how do you find the patience to deal with these people..."

It's a lesson in tedium. To complete the picture, I should badger him about it.

Actually, this isn't a fair representation of my typical stuff, because A) The Season is over, so no landscaping anything to manage, and B) we really are doing things together, I'm not having him do it all solo. I should go on vacation sometime, solo, for a week and see if the house is still standing when I get home. Sink or swim, man. I think he'd manage, but a lot of shit would get forgotten. Minor stuff, like lunch money, or the proper pick up and drop off procedure for school (like, today, he forgot that we left at 8:15, and sorta made Alden late), or maybe some shit with the house. It would be an interesting experiment.


[Listening to: Master of the Wind - Manowar - (5:26)]

No comments: