10.18.2004

Stuff

I've got nothing interesting to say. This is my first day of "by myself" time, since two Thursdays ago, and that's mighty nice. I'm tempted to waste it by napping.

I should go out and buy some more Halloween decorations. We tossed about half of ours, because when they replaced the roof, everything in the attic that wasn't in a box with a secure lid, got destroyed. Now I'm down to two foam pumpkins, a plastic skeleton, a realistic looking skull, and a few rubber spiders. This will not do. We have some real pumpkins, and a bag of gourds, today I'm getting some hay bales, and mums, to put out by the tree. I used to never put stuff in the very front lawn, because of the kids next door. It's very easy to get to from the front sidewalk, and I was always afraid they'd steal or destroy our decorations. Now, I feel like I can put anything I want out there. Hmmm...fake graveyard? So overdone...haunted pumpkin patch? Maybe. I miss having the solid glass storm door. I used to paint the coolest stuff, on the glass. One year, it was a dead tree, with ghosts swirling around it, one year a bubbling cauldron, with faces rising inthe steam, one year I just painted this huge bloody toothy gaping mouth. Whatever it is, there's gonna be special effect lighting, and loads of spiders and webs. Time to bust out the strobe, and spotlights.

Halloween comes on a Sunday this year, which means, we might actually get a trick or treater. Our biggest trick or treat year, we had a whopping 11 kids come to the door. Now, I don't wait for them to come to me, I grab my candy bag, and when we take Alden out, I foist candy on innocent passers-by. "HERE! Trick or treat! Take this candy, no, TAKE IT" (then I explain to the parents, my trick or treating dilemma, we live on a busy street, no one ever shows up, I don't like having leftovers, etc)

I didn't decorate last year, because I was planning on moving. I still plan on moving, but I say fuck it. I'll move the fucking decorations, too. Hell, I might even decorate that house, too, if I'm feeling saucy. I'm tired of waiting, and postponing things "because of the house".

This year is cool, because Alden is really getting into the whole spooky Halloween vibe. He loved the monster truck thing, last night. It was more than that, actually. We got to go "pumpkin picking" (selecting a tiny pumpkin from this grassy penned in area), then we went on a normal hayride, through this cool car graveyard, ending at this little show, thing. It was the Speed Demon (guy in a scary costume), terrorizing Raceway Park, on his quad. We got to watch "Park Security" chase him with dirt bikes, and a mustang, over this course, doing all these jumps, and spins, it was pretty thrilling. Just as they were about to "catch" the Speed Demon, he did this 30 foot jump, over a dirt pile, and into these woods. We got off our normal hay ride, and got to ride on a monster truck thing, through this HUGE pitch dark, wooded trail, called The Lost Speedway, "chasing" the Speed Demon. The guy on the quad, the dirt bikers, and various "police cars" did this coreographed chase thing, all through these haunted woods. Lots of crashing and stunts. It was all very well done, and spooky, with that whole "omg monster trucks and dirtbikes!" thrill thing going. The grand finale was the Speed Demon jumping over us on the monster truck, on this near-invisible ramp, through a flaming wall. It was really friggin cool. Of course, just as we thought it was over, the guy materialized on the back of the truck, and scared the bejeezus out of us. Even I screamed.

One of the other attractions there was a walking scary tour, through this other section of woods. It wasn't really for kids, but we brought Alden anyway, and it actually was pretty scary, lots of screams, and graphic gore. The actors were really interactive, talking to us, and scaring us good. It was also pitch black, in these woods. We had a guide, that would convieniently drop his flashlight "oops, lemme just get that"... and then something crazy would happen. Murderous psychos would blend with the little group, and walk along near us, then jump out and run around. It was so dark, you didn't notice, till this guy was waving a plastic machete in your face. There were lots of little scenes out there, that were really kickass. A campsite, where we watched two campers get mutilated, a car accident, with well done gore, and psycho EMT's that weren't there to help. A guy with a chain saw, a couple that hacked up and ate people. The woman from that scene actually talked to Alden, and scared the crap out of us. She was all like "Would you like to climb up on my (bloodstained, gore covered) table, here?" (while she's licking a meat cleaver) The guy came up right behind him, and stuck his face right near Alden's ear, and was like "Oy! He's too small and stringy!" all loud. Haha, Alden just about jumped out of his clothes. (I did too). He's so tough, I'd have been crying, at that age.

Besides that, there were rides, and games, as well as storytellers, concessions, and all that canivally fun stuff. Definitely a great time. Better than I expected, I was thinking it was just gonna be some ride through the woods, on a hay wagon. This is the first year, they did this attraction, and it's great. It will probably only get better, in the coming years.

[Listening to: Spoonman - Soundgarden - (4:06)]

1 comment:

Ally said...

Holy crap that sounds awesome! I wanna go next time. :D