10.30.2004

My next BBQ

I was thinking about it, just now. How cool would it be to have a costume party, but with this as the theme "Dress Like You Did When You Were Eighteen". I think it would be fun. I would love to see all my grownup friends dress like they did when they were 18, what a trip down memory lane. Some of us haven't changed much, but some of us have changed drastically.

We've all grown up, and become conservative shadows of our youthful selves. Remember when you were passionate about your "look" and what group you fit in with? Everyone was, to some extent, I don't buy that "I didn't really care" notion. Everyone did it, even if it was wearing the right sports jersey, or just trying to look normal.

It would be so great to see the former jocks, nerds, hippies, urban types, punks, metalheads, and so on, come out of the closet of time. On top of that, tempered with that year's fashion. Remember Hypercolor shirts? Cavariccis? Hobie? Cross Colors, flannel, bermuda shorts, etc etc etc...I know you do...or if not, each era has their own brand of whatevers. I hear so many people say "I used to have a leather jacket" or "Wow, I used to have long hair, but I chopped it all off in college".

A while back, Harriet, Letty, and I were talking about makeup, and how we've evolved makeup-wise. I half joked that I was all dark, all the time "black lipstick, black eyeliner, black black black" Letty laughed, and said "ooh, you were one of those scary kids, haha" She used to wear bright red lipstick, and big gold hoop earings, and have big hair, hehe. She's Hispanic, grew up in a Hispanic neighborhood, and they were all hip-hop chikas, which is funny. I sat there trying to picture her in overalls and high tops, with huge hair, etc. She's so conservative, now, she dresses so nice. Harriet too, used to have big hair, and wild pink, blue, and green eyeshadow and she...well she used to dress like a hoochie. Short jean shorts, tank tops, little jackets, sundresses, half shirts, etc. Then, Mindy showed up last night in her Halloween costume "Mindy of 1994" and we had a laugh, haha, she looked just the way I remember her from when we started hanging out ('95), jeans, tee shirt, flannel, and pink hair. Of course, we got all nostalgiac.


Yeah, I would love to throw a party like that, but people wouldn't 'get it'. Too many of my friends are "too cool" to be dressing all silly like that. I'd do it (hell, I do it every day, to some degree).

[Listening to: No Nay Never - The Dubliners - (3:13)]

No comments: