5.03.2004

In response to Ally

Tom. He was my best friend, when I was younger He thought he was gay, and that was cool. He decided that he wasn't, and we became a couple. He was my first real love. We got engaged when I was 18, planning to get married when we got out of college and all that. I really did love him. I suppose I still do, in a way.

Then, it seemed like overnight, everything came crashing down, he decided he was still gay, and left me. He disappeared for 2 years. Came back, and I was married and pregnant. We became best friends, again, like we never were apart. The relationship part of our friendship was a mistake, we came to the conclusion, and it freed us up to be great friends. Uh. I'm skimming over some details, because I don't want to really write about it now. I might in time, but not now. He killed himself on April 30, 2001. It was a Thursday around 11 a.m., they say. I found out on that Sunday May 3, when a mutual friend called. 7 a.m. To this day, when the phone rings early on Sundays, I get a little shudder. I'd have found out earlier, but I ignored his roommate, calling me. Jeff. Jeff called about 4 times between Friday night and Sunday, but I didn't pick up, because Jeff always wanted something, a ride, money, help, to borrow something. Jeff was poison. I'm crying a little now, and rambling. Yeah. Went to the funeral on that Tuesday. The same day as two final exams, for that semester in college. I flunked.

I didn't really want to go into this. I wanted to just say Tom, my old best friend.

No comments: