8.25.2004

Slings and T's

I've been obsessed with spiders for a long time, right. Ever since I can remember, I've observed them, studied about them, been fascinated by them, doodled them all over the place, and all that. I even have a spider themed tattoo.

I was never allowed to keep one as a pet, when I lived at home, but I sorely wanted one. Bill's an arachnophobe, so, he put his foot down, early on. 7 years of mentioning it once in awhile, and wearing him down has taken it's toll. I'm poised and ready for my first pet tarantula. I've purchased a nice enclosure, decorated it, and made it ready for my prospective pet. I'm very excited about it.

I spend hours poring over The Arachnoboards, and various pet invertebrate websites. I'm so ready, I just don't have one. Only one of the pet stores around here even sell them, and they haven't had a g. rosea in, which is what I want. They have a Mexican Redleg, but it's rather pricy. They're very nice with me, though, I've spent a good deal of time lurking around the store, talking with the guys about spiders. Half of them are T owners, and are enthusiastic to share their knowledge and love of the hobby. Saturday night, one of the guys popped the top of the redleg cage, plunked down on the floor, and let me handle the T. We sat there on the floor talking about them, letting the little guy walk back and forth across our hands. It was one of the coolest things, ever.

It's a good hobby, getting me away from spending so much time on gaming. Gives me something new to love, learn about, and take care of, as well. I need it, at this point in my life.

If one doesn't fall into my lap, soon, I'm planning on sending out for a sling, mail order. Sling is short for spiderling. If I do that, I'll choose one of the more colorful and less common types. I sort of don't want to, though, because I want to see what I'm getting, and I want to get an adult, or sub-adult, for starters. They're less fragile. I can abide. Hopefully Petland Discounts will come through for me.

No comments: